Engineering Services & Construction

Main Content

Facility Archives

Maintain and update maps, site plans, utilities and construction record documents for the University. Record documents provide valuable detail information about University property and buildings. These documents are used by maintenance crafts, engineering & construction staff and the Administration to plan, repair and renovate.
To request a record document, call the Engineering Services & Construction office at (618) 453-6777.

Facility Planning and Programming

Staff architects and engineers provide planning, support and expertise for SIU facility planning. Facility planning includes long range master planning and support for funding requests. Specifics include estimating support and programming for proposed construction, renovation and maintenance as well as preparing documentation and records in conjunction with historic preservation initiatives.

Interior Design Services

Maintain a library of current furniture, paint, wall covering, etc., information to provide up-to-date design solutions and guidance. These services are generally provided by submitting a Request for Facility services form to the Facilities Operations Center. Assist departments in selecting furniture and equipment. Provide product sources, assistance and guidance for a department's purchase of interior items.

Major In-House Design and Construction Documents

When requested, provide full design specifications for in-house design. Staff architects and engineers design and specify the bidding documents and provide full architect/engineering services from programming through bidding, construction and occupancy.
To request this service, submit a Request for Facility services form to the Facilities Operations Center.

Verbal Estimates

Upon request, verbal estimates are provided when there is no certainty that funding is available or when the department is attempting to establish a scope for a potential project. These estimates are general in nature and are not to be considered accurate until connected to an approved project scope that has been developed and recorded. Project costs may vary as the department changes or revises the scope of the project.

Major Construction/Capital Projects

Oversee and coordinate all new construction, renovations and major maintenance projects for the campus (major projects total $100,000 or more in direct costs). Serve as the primary interface with customers, architects and engineers, and construction workforces from the start of a construction project to its completion. During the construction period, monitor progress, assure quality standards, arrange for access and assistance in the planning of work schedules to reduce inconvenience of the various campus departments. A Request for Facility services form is required for major construction work, or it must be an item on the Resource Allocation Management Program (RAMP).

Minor Construction/In-House Projects

Minor construction projects are generally defined as projects costing under $100,000. Depending upon job complexity, available labor and funding source, determine if minor projects are completed by in-house construction crews or by time and material contractors.

Provide scheduling, maintain project files, communicate with customers, and work with the departments to meet the scope of the work.

Minor in-house construction service consists of carpenters, brick masons, electricans, plumbers, painters, sheet metal workers, pipefitters, lampers, refrigeration mechanics, and labor and construction project managers. These crewmen offer a wide range of construction knowledge and expertise. This type of work is requested on a Request for Facility services form.