About Engineering Services & Construction
Our commitment to the University community is to continually provide the SIU academic, administrative, and student community with quality services that exceed customer expectations in a responsive, professional, friendly and courteous manner at competitive costs. Our diverse and skilled workers are dedicated to this commitment.
The State of Illinois has a prevailing wage and requires that all skilled craft work be performed by persons compensated at the prevailing rates established for this local area as certified by the Illinois Department of Labor.
Facilities construction or renovation work performed by outside contracts are administered and inspected by construction coordinators. All inquiries concerning construction work may be made at (618) 453-1357.
The University Engineer will function as the control officer for Engineering Services & Construction.
Priority for processing architectural, engineering, and interior design requests will be as listed unless an exception is made by the University Engineer:
- health and life safety projects
- projects dealing with instructional areas
- projects involving research areas
- projects requested by the administration
- projects requested by Student Activities
Additional administrative approvals may include:
- Dean or director for projects over $25,000.
- Director of Facilities & Energy Management for all projects requested on a GIR.
- Vice Chancellor of Administration & Finance approval for major renovations to facilities, for the purchase of additional property and/or structures, and for outside consulting services.
Operational Procedures & Service Guide
Under the direction of the University Engineer, Engineering Services & Constructino provides architecture and engineering services to the SIU campus community. A staff of architects, electrical, mechanical, civil engineers combined with planning, interior design and drafting allows Engineering Services & Construction to handle planning, development and design for construction, renovation and maintenance projects.
When a need for construction or renovation occurs, a Request for Facility services form is required and should be submitted to the Facilities Operations Center.
Departments with a need to develop scopes of work for future construction, interior design and furniture or equipment are encouraged to contact Engineering Services & Construction as a resource.